Sunday, November 2, 2014

Launching my App product


App research and buying experience overview
I have spent a significant amount of time reviewing apps that offered services under the business section of the app store. Many of the apps competing in this space are designed by solo designers or small companies. Some apps can be purchased on their company website in addition to the app store. Most sites provide little detail on the company or what their apps actually do. This can be a challenge when making a buying decision. One of the few ways to asses the potential performance of the product is through user ratings. Because there are many apps available for purchase there tends to only be a few that are reviewed and for those that are reviewed there is typically 3 or less user ratings. This made it challenging for me to determine which apps were worth purchasing and test driving for my product research.

Competitor Research 
One app that I though was interesting was an app titled "Benchmarking". This was $2.99 app that helps the user understand the technique of benchmarking and guided them through the process of benchmarking a product or service. This app is similar to the concept that I am working on. Essentially, take important business concepts and break them down so that someone with a limited background in a the particular topic can quickly gain an understanding of the concept and learn how to implement into their business. This company has about 40 apps that can be purchased to address common business issues. Check out their website at http://www.kalees.in to view this example. While the website is fairly simple it is one of the better examples from app development companies that I have seen.

Pricing
Based on my research I have decided to price my applications between .99 and $9.99 per app. Apps can range from free or free to over $100 for more established brands. By offering lower price points initially for the consumer I can build up brand equity with the user and introduce higher price point products in the future if it makes sense for my product line.

Building Brand Awareness
Operating under a start up budget my intention is to spend most of my marketing dollars on creating and maintaing my website and on SEO keywords and paid search. I will also create awareness by positing to forums where my applications can be useful to users in tackling business problems and directing them to my website or the app store.
Creating a website that is interactive for the user and helps them to create a connection between them and the app is a major component of my marketing strategy. A simple way to differentiate myself from competing applications (aside from creating a superior product) is by giving them the ability to test drive a piece of the product prior to downloading or showcasing a new app in development. I will use the skills that I have developed in my blog class to blog and talk about the development of new products and give users the ability to have input on the process and make suggestions. I will also create a separate forum where users have a community space to share what how the app has helped them to be successful and as the product line grows how using a combination of apps has helped their business to be successful.

Design
The apple app store provides very specific guidelines for creating an app and having it approved for sale via the app channel. Top issues for rejection include a lack of information provided, bugs, or a user interface that does not meet apples standards. My major challenge has been in downloading and using some of the resources out there to build an app product. I am working on scheduling a time to speak with an app developer this week to understand what the market pricing is for contracting the development out, or, if they can suggest a more user friendly product that I can use to begin to build my initial product. During my research I have read feedback from some app developers who have used paper and a pencil to sketch their ideas and then contracted an app programer to build. An important decision I will need to make in the near future will be deterring which direction I will take in developing my app. I am still looking for courses online to assist me with this.


No comments:

Post a Comment